How to Celebrate Guru Purnima: Puja, Mantras, Meditations
How to celebrate Guru Purnima is a question many have every year. While there is nothing mandatory, there are ways to observe Guru Purnima in a meaningful way. This The Indian Rose article will guide you on how to celebrate Guru Purnima by explaining what to do on Guru Purnima, how to pray on Guru Purnima, how to do Guru Purnima puja, and how to celebrate Guru Purnima at home. So, read carefully as we provide instructions on how to celebrate Guru Purnima.
you might be interested in: what to wear on Indian Independence day
How to observe Guru Purnima
First of all, we have to admit that there is no “one size fits all” way to observe Guru Purnima. Different sections of society celebrate Guru Purnima in different ways: it is not the same to observe Guru Purnima as a sannyasin or to celebrate Guru Purnima in school.
If you want a deeply spiritual Guru Purnima, you should involve yourself in spiritual activities for most of the day. This is what to do on Guru Purnima:
- Wake up at dawn
- Meditate on gratitude and humility towards your gurus or deity, and appreciate the knowledge you have acquired during the past year. This is the most important part of how to observe Guru Purnima.
- You can mentally worship the guru’s feet.
- After meditation, to celebrate Guru Purnima, repeat the Guru mantra (click for Guru Mantra explanation):
Gurur Brahma, Gurur Vishnu, Gurur Devo Maheshwara
Guru Sakshat Parabrahma
Tasmai Shree Guruvey Namah!
- Fast or only eat vegetarian light meals or drinks (fruit and milk) throughout the day.
- If you have a guru, seek their blessing
- Have a bath
- Perform the Guru Purnima puja as detailed below
- Food offerings to celebrate Guru Purnima: you can offer simple food or flowers at the temple, and food to sadhus and sannyasins. To observe Guru Purnima, you may also offer fruit to your guru and sweets to your family and friends.
- If you have a group of like-minded friends, gather with them and talk about the teachings of your guru. If you prefer to be alone, you can observe guru purnima by remaining in silence and studying. That´s the easiest thing to do on Guru Purnima!
- At night gather with others and sing mantras.
- To end Guru Purnima celebrations, meditate under the full moon and mentally repeat your spiritual resolves
What comes after the observation of Guru Purnima is equally important, so make this the day your spiritual practice starts to intensify, set the seeds for a fruitus year to come.
If you are not very spiritual, but still want to celebrate Guru Purnima, check out the section below on how to celebrate Guru Purnima at home.
After we explained how to observe Guru Purnima, we will see how to do Guru Purnima puja.
How to do Guru Purnima Puja
If you want to know how to celebrate Guru Purnima, you can also check how to do pooja on Guru Purnima. In fact, a puja performed on this day brings many benefits. You can do Guru Purnima puja at home or in the temple. There is no mandatory or predefined way to do Guru Purnima puja, but we will give you some ideas:
- After the bath, in the morning, greet the guru or deity and acknowledge their name in front of the idol or picture.
- Offer them a garland
- Perform Aarti and sing Aarti songs
- Offer them fruit and light up an incense and a few lamps
- To do pooja on Guru Purnima, you can also offer milk and water
- Seek spiritual connection by thinking about how grateful you are to your spiritual guide
- Chant the Guru mantra
- Say your personal pray (see how to pray on Guru Purnima below)
- If the guru you want to celebrate on Guru Purnima is alive and close to you, you and other students can adorne him with garlands, and worship his feet. You can also offer food and seek his blessing.
How to pray on Guru Purnima
Again, how to pray on Guru Purnima, like what to do on Guru Purnima, depends on you. You should aim for spiritual connection and a sense of gratitude towards your guru. Performing Guru Purnima puja, thinking about the Guru or Deity and thanking them in devotion is a good option for Guru Purnima prayer.
If you are a devotee of a specific Guru you can use specific mantras and prayers.
A mantra for Guru Purnima is the Guru mantra explained above.
Now you know all about how to fully celebrate Guru Purnima. if you have little time, and cannot go to the temple, discover how to celebrate Guru Purnima at home below.
How to celebrate Guru Purnima at home
Celebrating Guru Purnima at home can also be special. If you are a spiritual person and you have the full day to observe this festivity, follow the instructions above on how to observe Guru Purnima.
If you don’t belong to any particular group and still wish to celebrate Guru Purnima in a simpler way, read on.
To celebrate Guru Purnima at home:
- Wake up earlier than usual
- Take a few minutes to be grateful to God and the people who allowed you to grow in your life. Also acknowledge and be grateful to the guru within you.
- Set an intention for personal growth for the year to come
- Light a couple of lamps to symbolise the power of knowledge over darkness
- If you have a picture of gurus / deities, you can pray in front of them and repeat the Guru Mantra
- Whatever free time you have during the day, spend it reading spiritual texts or meditating
- You can make or buy some food to offer to family and friends, and you can also make a greeting card to thank the gurus in your life, be it teachers, family members, or friends. This is a great way to celebrate Guru Purnima at home.
That’s the end of how to celebrate Guru Purnima, happy Guru Purnima to all of you!